Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

locked up motor help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: locked up motor help
    Posted: 04 November 2007 at 10:43am
I have a locked up 258 straight 6.  It was running about 3 years ago.  It is locked up from sitting.  I have taken the spark plugs out and poured some marvels mystery oil down them, the number 5 spark plug was the only one that was rusted all the rest were new plugs.  Why would this be?  Anyone know.  Also, anyone have any idea's of what I could do to get this thing unlocked?

74 CJ5
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2007 at 10:57am
If the number 5 cylinder valve(s) were open, and some water got in......
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
browning67 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote browning67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2007 at 11:54am

Originally posted by alabamatoy alabamatoy wrote:

If the number 5 cylinder valve(s) were open, and some water got in......

this sounds right...is it in a jeep? if it is then is there just water in the radiator or is there anti freeze. if its just water than it might have gotten frozen inside your motor and has coused major problems....

98 2door xj on krawlers

-david
4RUNNERB12 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2007 at 12:52pm
The radiator isn't in it, the upper hose housing doesn't have a hose on it either.  I tried bumping it over with the cylonoid and it just clinks.  
74 CJ5
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2007 at 1:25pm

http://www.pbblaster.com/store/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=1

I assume your piston rings are rusted to the cylinder wall.  If it were mine, I would spray a bunch of PB Blaster into the sparkplug holes, let set 24 hrs and repeat and few times. 

1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
browning67 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote browning67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2007 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by 98TJ 98TJ wrote:

http://www.pbblaster.com/store/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=1

I assume your piston rings are rusted to the cylinder wall.  If it were mine, I would spray a bunch of PB Blaster into the sparkplug holes, let set 24 hrs and repeat and few times. 

id do the same

98 2door xj on krawlers

-david
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2007 at 2:54pm
I'll give it a shot. 
74 CJ5
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2007 at 4:15pm
I've been down this road before helping a friend get a '69 Jeepster Commando started after sitting for about 15 years.  We tried everything - PB Blaster, Marvel Mystery Oil, Seafoam, you name it....

What finally worked - ATF fluid!  An old mechanic told us to try it and whatdayaknow - it cranked!  Smoked a whole bunch and cleared up.  Change the oil after warming it up some.
___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Owner of CartoTracks.com Trail Maps
Past RCRC - VP
Past Nat'l CJ-8 Scrambler Owners Association President
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2007 at 1:08am
I was told ATF fluid.  Did you pour it down the cylinders or the oil cap too?  This old mechanic I konw told me to pour a quart down the oil fill and drops of marvels down the cylinders.  I was hesitant about ATF in the oil fill.

Edited by 4RUNNERB12
74 CJ5
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2007 at 1:14am
You may want to pull the dist and manualy spin the oil pump to pre-lube the bearings and lifters before start up.
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2007 at 3:07am
If you only had one plug out, I'd just add the ATF to that one cylinder through the plug hole.  The others are probably ok.  The beauty of the I-6 258 is that the cylinder sits darn close to level unlike in a V-6 or V-8 where it would be tilted.  Shouldn't need much to saturate those rings and hopefully penetrate whatever rust has formed on the cylinder wall.  The engine tilts back just a little bit so jacking up the back end a little bit wouldn't hurt just while you let it soak.  The closer you get the engine to level (front to back) the less ATF you'll need.
___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Past RCRC - VP
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2007 at 4:24am
i think that hole is full of marvels, it started leaking out.  hopefully it will leak down into the motor so I can put in some ATF.
74 CJ5
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2007 at 6:32am
Hey, check out what I just came across....

Acetone too?  I'd just start out with ATF but interesting non-the-less.
___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Past RCRC - VP
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2007 at 6:44am

just looked, that website is pretty cool.  I'm going to try ATF as soon as I get home.  Did you let it set a couple days?

74 CJ5
Al View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2007 at 7:26am

Take all the sparkplugs out, put in a little PB Blaster, Kroil or ATF, then try to turn the engine using the crank bolt.  Once it appears to be turning easier, use the starter.  Don't tear up the starter trying to move it the first time.

Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2007 at 7:45am
Good point, I have tryed the crank bolt and it wont budge.  I will try it with a big wrench after this stuff soaks in.
74 CJ5
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2007 at 10:11am

Hard to tell how long it soaked as we tried a combination of various penetrating oils with ATF being the last one we tried and then it turned over.  It was over the course of a few days (2-3 days)  - I know the ATF soaked overnight.

___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Past RCRC - VP
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2007 at 12:04pm
Depending on what's rusted, it may be locked up tight.  A stuck valve, or if water got past the rings into a bearing journal or into the wrist pin/conrod bearings you could be done for.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2007 at 1:34pm
I put the ATF in tonight and am planning on trying again tomorrow.  This part is weird, I put a breaker bar on the crank bolt and it is hard to turn but it turns?   So if the crank bolt turns but when you do the x screwdriver thing with the cylinoid it clanks whats up, bad starter?  
74 CJ5
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2007 at 10:43am

tried the ATF in the motor, tried marvells mystery also, nothing.  Does anyone else have any more ideas?

74 CJ5
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2007 at 11:38am
What are you doing to try and turn it?
Starter?
Crank bolt with big cheater bar?
___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Past RCRC - VP
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2007 at 1:34pm
I am bumping the sylinoid with screw drivers, I have tried to turn the crank bolt but all it does it tighten up.  I am thinking this thing is locked up bad and will need to be rebuilt.  This tractor mechanic that comes in my work is telling me that it will loosen up and be salvageable because it is an old jeep motor, whatever I guess he knows more than I do.
74 CJ5
SushiMonster View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SushiMonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2007 at 4:25pm
I had an old Powerwagon that did the same thing.  What I did was fill the cylinder full of ATF, screwed the spark plug back in and let it set for a couple of days. I had a buddy to hook up to me with a strap and drag me down the street with his truck.  Once I got up to about 20-25 mph, I dumped the clutch with the the wagon in 2nd gear a couple of times and it broke loose. I DID have the coil wire off so it WOULD NOT fire. When I was sure it was broken loose I removed the spark plug and I rotated the crankshaft by the crank bolt and got as much ATF as possible and then reconected the coil wire and tried starting it up.  I put a new plug in the bad hole and with a little bit of starting fluid I got it started.  It smoked like a fog machine for a couple of minutes.  I changed the oil and I drove the truck a couple of years until I sold it.  Hope this helps, if it does you owe me a six pack of Shiner Bock.
bamajeepjunkie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bamajeepjunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2007 at 7:19pm
when you where bumpin the starter did you have all the spark plugs pulled out- if not then try it- did you put atf in all the cylinders might be another or all pistons somewhat froze up.
97 green tj 4 banger
91 red xj 5spd 4.0 6" custom lift 33-12.5-15 bfg m/t
88 red xj rk 4.5
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2007 at 3:39am

Yep,

Put ATF in each cylinder, let it sit a few days, and try again.  You may want to try what SushiMonster suggested with the strap.  That worked for us too one time with the old Jeepster Commando - strap and dragging.  Just make sure you remove that coil wire - you don't want to fire it up yet - just turn over the engine.  Also, if you've got a garage you can get it in that would help.  Heat is your friend here.  Don't go pulling engines just yet!

___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Past RCRC - VP
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2007 at 4:11am
I thought about dragging it but the trans. in stuck in gear (rusted stick, I dont know) the driveshafts aren't in it so it can be moved.  Also the transfer case only moves a little, doesn't even seem like its changing gears.  Got ATF in all cylinders since tuesday afternoon.  Tried starting with plugs in and out.  I have kicked it, yelled at it, stared at it, sat down and drank a beer and told it that it would be nice if it ran, nothing.    I appreciate everyone trying to help me out by the way.
74 CJ5
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2007 at 11:27am
Just sold my cj to John (83K10).  Thanks for everyones help, the motor was completely locked up.  I think it is going to get a V8 and some bigger axles.  If anyone runs across a good deal on a cj let me know. 
74 CJ5
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic