Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lockers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YJWonderboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lockers
    Posted: 08 June 2007 at 12:48pm

Alrighty! I have been looking into a rear locker for my Cherokee. Only had it for like two or three weeks, and I've already got that itch to build it! Thing is...i'm kinda clueless as to lockers. I mean, I know about them on paper, but don't really know of any experience with them. There's no way in hell you'll talk me into a spool cause it's still a mostly street driver. I was thinking a selectable locker, but they are really expensive. I mean I can always save up and buy one, righto, but with the lockers I'm putting in the 29 spline axle shafts with it (I got a Chrysler 8.25")...a little extra strength in the rear never hurts, eh? Ummm, lets see. Air lockers have the ability to use the compressor for other uses like tires, right? But I don't know if I have the skill to put them in. OX-Lockers are manual lockers, and I've heard good things about them...but I've also heard things about you having to fine tune the cables. And then you've got the other automatic lockers, like the Lock-right, EZ-Locker, and the Powertrax-no slip. Then you've got the ratchet style lockers like the detroit soft-lockers. Then you've got the electric slectable lockers...but i have no clue if they've got to be attached to the car's computer, or just a switch inside the cab. But I would really love input from all of you guys, cause i'm doing my research before I make the leap.

sooo...I need a locker...and 29 spline alloy axles...this should be fun.

Just an '02 Cavalier right now...z24 auto...my 4x4 died...
felipecj View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote felipecj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2007 at 4:32am

A friend of mine runs a powertrax no-slip in the rear of his z71 and it seems to be a great locker that you can run on the road and hardly even notice it's there. I have a cj7 and i run a detroit in the back, and if i had to do it again i'd put the same locker in there. I can notice it on the road, but it's not unreasonable at all. Since you have the 8.25 in the rear, you've got the stronger rear axle. That should make you feel better about adding a locker in there. Plus you have an automatic (i'm assuming) and a longer wheelbase compared to my jeep, which will all help the vehicle's handling with a locker. Keep in mind that you hear very little bad things about detroits and they don't seem to wear out like other cheaper lockers. Hope this helps you some.

83 CJ7
2005 Honda 450R
browning67 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote browning67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2007 at 10:40am
if you got the money go with an arb...i dunno if they make ox lockers for the 8.25
98 2door xj on krawlers

-david
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2007 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by browning67 browning67 wrote:

...i dunno if they make ox lockers for the 8.25

They are about to.

___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Owner of CartoTracks.com Trail Maps
Past RCRC - VP
Past Nat'l CJ-8 Scrambler Owners Association President
BAMA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAMA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2007 at 4:17pm

full case detroit.

got them front and rear in my daily driven TJ... i personally wouldnt run anything else .

project SH!TJ

97tj/d30/d44/4.56/f&r detroits/36"tsl's
50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2007 at 1:15am
PM sent
Bob S.

'96 Cherokee, 4.0L w/Auto Trans & locked D44s

'99 Dodge 2500 CTD Tow Rig
CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2007 at 6:59am

I've had Ox Lockers in both ends of my CJ-7 for about 4 years now and love them! The "fine tuning of the cable" is really a piece of cake. It takes about 5 minutes to do. And the dif covers are stout!

~Sean
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem. -Reagan

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

YJWonderboy View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YJWonderboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2007 at 8:29am

Originally posted by cj8lvr cj8lvr wrote:

Originally posted by browning67 browning67 wrote:

...i dunno if they make ox lockers for the 8.25

They are about to.

jake that was music to my ears...if only auburn gear would get the hint...DUH! And just for the info...I've got a 5spd manual (Yeah...I drive an XJ with a 5spd...odd aint it?).

While I'm talking about my rear end here! When i let out on the clutch and begin to give it gas, when the clutch finally engages, there is a 'clunk' in my rear end. Could it be something loose in my driveline?

cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2007 at 9:39am

U-joints in rear driveshaft.

Check them.

___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Past RCRC - VP
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YJWonderboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2007 at 4:50am
Checked them both. They seem fine.
Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member
Have you seen my 9/16" socket?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2007 at 6:14am
take it out of gear and then check it again
06 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited all torn apart.

cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2007 at 7:31am

Originally posted by Case Case wrote:

take it out of gear and then check it again

That was my next suggestion.  Case just learned this.

Park it on level ground, set parking brake, take it out of gear (Neutral), crawl under and give the driveshaft a good tug in ever possible direction at both ends.  Pops-Daddy-Frith should be able to help you on this.

___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Past RCRC - VP
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YJWonderboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2007 at 9:05am

dad's not in the most brilliant of moods. I just told him I'm saving for a lift kit and tires, and he replies,"Good for you...but i'm not putting it on." and i was like...well could ya help? And he's like "Nope...cause if I 'helped' we both know who'd do most of it."

...point taken. Lol...

But I will check it again.

Ok EDIT!

Um I checked it again, and other than the driveshate turning a little, it didn't move. Well...the whole unit moved, t-case, driveshaft and all, but that's cause of the old OE Rubber Tranny mounts. Maybe I should get some polyurethane mounts ya think?

Edited by YJWonderboy
Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member
Have you seen my 9/16" socket?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2007 at 9:23am
If your whole drivetrain moves when you move the driveshaft then that would probably be what is causing your clunk
06 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited all torn apart.

Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YJWonderboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2007 at 9:59am
Probably...I dunno, it's hard to explain. I pushed to the left, and from the transmission back, moved with the tranny mount. I checked the mount, it's not loose...so maybe it's just an old rubber mount?
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2007 at 3:46pm
slip joint probably needs lube.  That's what will often cause that clunk when the pinion rotates upward a bit at takeoff.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic