Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

difference between 1962 and 1963 fj-40’s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fj-40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: difference between 1962 and 1963 fj-40’s
    Posted: 21 July 2004 at 10:52am
i just bought a 1962 fj-40 and am looking for a new top but all i see is for 1963 and newer models. does anyone know what the difference is or where i can get a new top at.
85cruiser View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2004 at 2:18am

There isnt a huge difference that I know of except that the real early 40's came with a bi-fold rear hatch and two piece swing out  tail gates ( I think until about 1967) then they came with a one piece rear hatch and two piece swing out tailgate until about 1974 which is when they came out with the ambulance style doors which deleted the hatch and two piece swing out tail gate. you can easily use any hard top up until 1974 and with some slight mods you can use the later hardtops by removing the two piece swing out doors and bolting up the ambulance doors.

the hard part  is going to be finding one that isnt rusted out or has the fiberglass top in one useable piece. it would almost be easier and probably cheaper if you just go with a soft top and doors the hard tops seem to be pretty spendy especially if you find one that isnt trashed.

Where are you located? and if you would like you could PM me with questions I am always willing to talk cruiser.

Patrick

2011 Ford F350, XLT, 4X4, Diesel, Crew cab, long bed

74' FJ-40, The "Bruise"

85' FJ-60, slightly modified

87' FJ60, slightly modified
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic