Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Head Work

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J CROSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Head Work
    Posted: 22 March 2017 at 1:48pm
Is anyone familiar with Southern Cylinder Head, I have a set of Subaru heads that need to be worked.
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them"   Einstein
83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2017 at 4:52pm
I have seen a pretty bad issue from Southern Cylinder head. The valve seats fell out of a head in about 20 minutes of running after a full rebuild. The valve seat went into the top of a piston. They refused to do anything about it and accused the guy of racing. He was breaking the motor in when this happened. Pretty tough pill to swallow on a fresh rebuild. The issue was bad enough but the attitude was complete unacceptable.

Unfortunately, there's no awesome alternative. I've had issues with everyone local related to heads at one point or another. If I had to do a set tomorrow and wanted to stay local, R&R is probably where I'd take them. They at least try to do a good job and don't have a bad attitude. Don't expect to get them back quickly though.

If they have 200K+ mi on them don't be surprised if they need valve guides. Last I looked a set of OE guides were around $300.
J CROSS View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J CROSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2017 at 6:50pm
Thanks John, it's a shame there are so few people willing to do a good job these days. Guess I will continue my search. I googled Southern and found several bad reviews, but the dealership said that's who they use and have gotten good work. Confused
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them"   Einstein
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic