Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cast Repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club & Business Member
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cast Repair
    Posted: 26 June 2016 at 2:35am
Finished up a repair on a broken bellhousing the other day.

I was putting an engine in a GMC C6500 chipper truck when I found the top of the bellhousing had broken off. This bellhousing is no longer available and we weren't able to locate a used one. That pretty much left repairing it as our only viable option.

Thankfully the piece was held on the back of the block with a bolt. We cleaned up everything and brazed the piece back on using Si Bronze filler with a tig welder.

The whole transmission hangs off the back of the bellhousing in this truck. There's no rear trans mount at all. I wanted to put a reinforcement on the repaired area as I didn't want it to crack later on. I drew it up in CAD and cut out it on our CNC plasma table. After I cleaned it up, I bent it to fit the curve of the bellhousing in our press brake.

I brazed it all up. I think it will be stronger than the original casting now as I've almost doubled the material thickness where the stress is.

I think I got a pretty good bead of filler material but some places I had a hard time getting it to wet into the casting at the edges really well. I think the casting was outgasing where this was happening near the corner. It got real black and sooty right there. I was running on AC with 90% penetration.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic