Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bye, Jeep....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bye, Jeep....
    Posted: 25 May 2016 at 10:10am
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
unlblkrubi View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlblkrubi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 10:22am
Having 2 JK's now I say good riddance to the stick, so nice not shifting. But then, I'm old and getting lazy.
'18 Renegade Trailhawk
'15 JKUR-Warn-AEV-Rigid-KC-ARB

Doc Savage View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 2:51am
Well good thing I've already given up on new jeeps.

My LJ had the auto and I HATED IT! It was awful off road and was way too sloppy. Not to mention that there were failure modes that were undiagnosable by the OBD system (other than to say there was a fault) and ended up being a $5 relay under the hood that still worked but had built up contact resistance (it controlled power to the computer so drop in power and computer glitched).

Couple that with the fact that a manual is easy to rebuild yourself (just did my T5)compared to an auto, and it is lots less maintenance. I will give Fiat a slight break as a lot of what is killing the jeep is Congressional stupidity, but they really aren't helping either.

Robert
Past President, Rocket City Rock Crawlers
Past President, Madison County CERT Association
BlackBird View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 2:34am
I think the fed is more at play than anything. With CAFE regs and the popularity of the wrangler, they were going to have to clamp down at some point. Not sure how much they actually gain from this move, however. Hopefully the 8 speed and popularity of the diesel will allow them to keep some other less fuel friendly features around for a while.
Michael Crandall
Monrovia Volunteer FF/Driver
Mine - 2024 Ram 2500 Rebel
Hers - 2023 Jeep GC 4xE Trailhawk
Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member
Have you seen my 9/16" socket?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 9:56am
wont be missed.  seen the people driving jks today?  everyone cried when they stopped shipping the diesel trucks without manuals but i don't hear to many people with newer diesels wishing they could row gears all day...........................

only thing i hate about it is you can no longer opt for a stripped down version with manual everything for half the price of the tricked out version.  but lets be fair half the price of a tricked out 4 door rubicon jk is still more than I payed for my 2006 rubicon.....
06 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited all torn apart.

BlackBird View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2016 at 6:05am
I actually had an idea for a model plan which had the wrangler become "dumbed down" for street driving (basically stay the course) but introduce a new model called "rubicon" which was the all manual simple version for off roaders. While I agree with their statements that each generation the wrangler becomes more capable, it's at the expense of complexity and cost. The Jeep Shortcut concept was a step in that direction this year.

Jeep Shortcut
Michael Crandall
Monrovia Volunteer FF/Driver
Mine - 2024 Ram 2500 Rebel
Hers - 2023 Jeep GC 4xE Trailhawk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic