Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer tires

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote broncomike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer tires
    Posted: 03 April 2016 at 5:11am
Are they all made in China now. Sold my old flimsy trailer and bought a big tex 9990# 18 foot rail trailer.It has 225/75/15 that will need replaced soon. Looking at some 10ply E tires . Reading bad revues on goodyear . What about carlile .
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2016 at 6:57am
Get some used e rated truck tires.
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2016 at 11:15am
Check Redneck Trailer Supplies in Tuscumbia 
Bob S.

'96 Cherokee, 4.0L w/Auto Trans & locked D44s

'99 Dodge 2500 CTD Tow Rig
broncomike View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote broncomike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2016 at 12:50pm
Not having a problem finding tires. Just want to get some good ones.Don't want to be changing tires on the side of I40 next summer.
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2016 at 2:15pm
Trailer tires suck. Just get e rated truck tires.
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote broncomike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2016 at 11:27pm
Can you get them for a 15" wheel?
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2016 at 1:30am
The Carlisle tires that came on my enclosed trailer brand new were horrible. I dragged it to Colorado and back little Talledega raceway and Chattanooga and they were basically gone. One lasted like 1300 miles. I bought some new ones from RCO that Frankie had been using on his personal trailer and they have lasted pretty well - Co and back and numerous other trips and they really aren't showing any significant wear. They are E-range bias ply trailer tires, but I cannot recall the brand, but Frankie should know what they are.

I think you want to avoid regular truck tires for a trailer because they are radials and don't tend to survive sitting in one spot for months.

Also, I have taken to unweighting the tires when the trailer is parked for long periods by lowering the tongue as far as it will go, putting two heavy jackstands one at each rear corner under the frame, then running the tongue jack up till the tires are barely touching the ground. It may be pointless, but it would seem to me to reduce the flatspotting of the tires as well as saving the springs from sagging so much.

HTH
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2016 at 2:17am
Originally posted by broncomike broncomike wrote:

Can you get them for a 15" wheel?

You can get the used tires and wheels to fit already mounted and balanced at a u-pick-it. Lots of 5th wheel folks have given up on trailers tires and gone to e-rated truck tires years ago. Look on RV.net for more info.
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote broncomike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2016 at 8:26am
Going to need 6 lug wheels
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2016 at 11:02am
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote broncomike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2016 at 11:49pm
Thanks Brad that's probably what i'll do.
stout22 View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2016 at 1:07am
It may not be the right thing to do but I bought a set of Ford Ranger 15" aluminum wheels and then got a set of goodyear truck tires. That's been a couple of years ago. Before this I bought a set of the china trailer tires and had 2 failures in one trip when they were just a few months old.
Got road hazard with the Goodyears Cool
stout22

76 Bronco

302, EFI, C4 Auto, 4.3 Atlas, 3.5" lift, 1" body, locked d44 and Locked 9"
83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2016 at 1:36am
What brands have you guys been running that you have had so many problems with? Are you maintaining your tires or just hoping they stay aired up?

I've been running hi run trailer tires for the past several years mainly because that's what my tire guy can get/recommended. I tow a lot due to running the tree service. Almost every time we're working, we're towing so at least several times a week. Sometimes several times a day. I've had a couple of nails/screws in tires but no issues other than that.
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2016 at 2:47am

Texas Panhandle - 100 degrees at 11am.

Glad there we found a trailer parts store open on Saturday morning in Amarillo.

Mikes concern seems to be driving out west next summer. A fully loaded trailer running +65 all day on hot sun-heated pavement and air temps well over 100 is tough on trailer tires and bearings. I'm thinking our tire and bearing temps got up close to 150 last trip.

Edited by 98TJ - 05 April 2016 at 3:18am
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2016 at 3:21am
Originally posted by stout22 stout22 wrote:

Got road hazard with the Goodyears

Did you have to pay extra for the road hazard insurance?
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote broncomike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2016 at 11:40am
Yeah what Brad said. I have ran LT 235 15 C rated on my other trailer. If I wasn't planning on going west next year I probably would have kept my other trailer.Found a good deal on a heaver trailer better axles . Those 3500# axles bend too easy.If I was only towing an hour or two wound't be that big of a deal.
stout22 View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2016 at 12:39am
Originally posted by 98TJ 98TJ wrote:

Originally posted by stout22 stout22 wrote:

Got road hazard with the Goodyears

Did you have to pay extra for the road hazard insurance?

Yep - got them thru Walmart. I know not to expect the best techs but at least they are open on weekends and are located everywhere.

When I had the multiple failures we were on a trip to Arkansas going down rough I-40. One happened going out and one coming back. I check my tire pressure before every trip. One of the failures could have been from running something over but the second was a full blowout. Not sure of brand just made in china.
stout22

76 Bronco

98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2016 at 1:42am
I used to buy Goodyear Marathons at Sams. I could never get them to warranty ANYTHING. They acted like trailer tires had no warranty.

Road hazard insurance on trailer tires is something I going to look into next time. I didn't know it was available. Most of my tire failures are on the passenger side and come from my trailer tires getting off the pavement on narrow roads in turns.

I just had to replace both passenger side trailer tires ($260) on my car hauler. I hit something and the tread was separating. I replaced them with D-rated 65 psi Maxxis. I've had pretty good luck with Maxxis trailer tires.

Edited by 98TJ - 06 April 2016 at 1:45am
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2016 at 2:39am
I use a little hand-held IR thermometer and check the tire and bearing temps at every fuel stop on the long hauls. I believe that you should be able to see the temp start rising when things start going awry. This wont help you around town on short trips, though.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
stout22 View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2016 at 12:56am
Keep in mind I got road hazard on truck tires not trailer tires. No one warrantees trailer tires. I wanted Maxxis but couldnt get them delivered in time.
stout22

76 Bronco

98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2016 at 1:56am
Ok, I get it. Goodyear says trailer tires have warranties, but getting a dealer to honor it is another question.
stout22 View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2016 at 5:36am
Originally posted by 98TJ 98TJ wrote:

Ok, I get it. Goodyear says trailer tires have warranties, but getting a dealer to honor it is another question.
Exactly! That's why I went the truck tire route.
stout22

76 Bronco

98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2016 at 5:46am
I wish I had paid a little extra and got 5k axles/tires/wheels instead of the 3.5k ones. I did not know that was an option when I ordered it. Me thinks Don got oversized axles when he ordered his trailer.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic