Forum Home Forum Home > General > Politics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Letter from Mo Brooks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Letter from Mo Brooks
    Posted: 19 September 2013 at 11:41pm
Mr. Herndon Elliott
xxxxxxxxxxxx
Madison, AL 35758

Dear Mr. Elliott:

Thank you for contacting me to share your views regarding defunding ObamaCare.

I have voted more than 40 times to repeal or defund all or part of ObamaCare. ObamaCare really is that bad and dangerous both to America’s solvency and to American’s health care quality.

Unfortunately, Harry Reid and the Democrat U.S. Senate, along with President Obama, absolutely refuse to consider repealing ObamaCare in whole or in part. The only effective, real and permanent solution is for voters to elect enough people to Congress to empower us to repeal ObamaCare. In 2012, American voters chose not to do that.

There is disagreement over what is the next best strategy. Unfortunately, ObamaCare cannot be defunded (or repealed) unless (a) President Obama and the Democrat Senate concur, or (b) the House shuts down the federal government until either January 2015 or the Senate and White House resistance collapses. The House has no other options. [emphasis added by Alabamatoy]  Yes, the House can “defund” ObamaCare by itself, but that only works if the White House and Senate concur. If they refuse to concur in a funding bill that defunds ObamaCare, then a federal government shut-down ensues until the issue is resolved.

How does a federal government shutdown affect the Tennessee Valley? No one knows for sure because no one knows how President Obama would handle his executive branch discretionary powers in a “shutdown” mode. Hence, and generally speaking, roughly 40,000 jobs in the Tennessee Valley would be immediately eliminated by a government shutdown. Tens of thousands more jobs would be lost by the cascading effect of immediately losing those first 40,000 jobs and the money those newly unemployed no longer spend on services provided by other Tennessee Valley job holders. A long-term federal government shutdown forces similarly destructive economic impacts throughout America, perhaps triggering debilitating economic effects, another great depression, and perhaps even wars (while America's national security is undermined - no funding equates to, at a minimum, a severely reduced national defense capability.)

Notwithstanding the foregoing, I anticipate voting against this year’s partial-year Continuing Resolution (CR) to fund the government because CR’s are a horribly inefficient and ineffective way to fund the federal government. I informed House leadership of my position on CRs back in April 2011 and have voted against EVERY partial-year, non-ending year Continuing Resolution since then. In the absence of something that makes me excited about supporting a partial-year, non-year ending CR (such as a provision that repeals or defunds ObamaCare), I will vote against this year’s CR, too, and have so informed House leadership.

Simply stated, CR’s are used as a crutch that permits Washington to refuse to do the hard work necessary to pass budgets, authorization bills and appropriations bills. Conversely, refusing to pass CR’s would force Washington to do the hard work necessary to pass budgets, authorization bills and appropriations bills. My votes have reflected these policy considerations.

As an aside, I yearn for the day that American voters elect enough financially responsible people for me to be able to vote for solutions to America’s financial and health care problems. It is frustrating to continually face no-win, damned if you do, damned if you don’t scenarios. If American voters will elect enough financially responsible people to Washington with the intellect to understand the ramifications of the policies we implement and the backbone to implement the solutions to our challenges, we will be fine. Until then, batten down the hatches because America’s ship of state is going to face rough seas.

Please feel free to contact me again in the future. You may wish to visit my website at http://brooks.house.gov/ for additional information about issues and legislation before Congress.

Sincerely,
Mo Brooks
Member of Congress
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic