Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Front Shackle Reversal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front Shackle Reversal
    Posted: 27 November 2010 at 3:13pm
When you're doing a front shackle reversal do the front springs stay in the stock position or do you turn them around also?  The reason I'm asking is that I'm putting FS Wagoneer springs on my Willys and they have a much larger spring bushing diameter on the non shackle end.  And since I have to make new spring brackets anyway I don't know if would matter.
Bob S.

'96 Cherokee, 4.0L w/Auto Trans & locked D44s

'99 Dodge 2500 CTD Tow Rig
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2010 at 4:00pm
many leaf springs are not symmetric - different distance from front eye to pin than from rear eye to pin.  So it may not be reversible.  That willys is probably pretty primitive suspension setup...I dont mean that in a disparaging way, its just an old rig.  You may need to look at custom springs to do it right.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2010 at 4:11pm
I haven't done one but I know my neighbor's CJ7 has then in the original orientation. As Doc mentioned, most are not symmetric. I'd see what will work out better distance wise before deciding. 
scoutman View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Lame Duck Past Pres, Fab Guy & Club Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2010 at 4:26am
I kept the spring direction on my Scout when I did the shackle reversal but each vehicle may differ. 
76 Scout II in pieces
96 Jeep XJ 33's
99 Jeep XJ Limited
06 Dodge 3500
W5LZQ
dontoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
Hail HURTS...aske me how I know!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2010 at 7:04am
Bob,

I was reading a thread a while back on how a guy completed a shackle reversely on a FJ60.  He rotated the springs in order to place the axle where he wanted it and also because he wanted to keep the full military wrap end on the fixed end.

Don
1985 ToyBuggy w/TBI GM4.3/TH350, Marlin doubler, 4.88's, locked front & rear, 37" TSL SXII, and other stuff.
50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2010 at 4:40am
Originally posted by alabamatoy alabamatoy wrote:

many leaf springs are not symmetric - different distance from front eye to pin than from rear eye to pin.  So it may not be reversible. 

The springs I'm putting on it are from a full size Jeep Wagoneer which are 2.5" wide compared to the stock Willys springs which are 1.5" wide.  The Wagoneer springs are not symetrical but it is less than an inch and that doesn't really matter since I have to make all new spring mounts and I am centering the spring bolt in the stock location.  My concern is in the size of the spring eyes.  Here are some pics.

Entire spring

Stationary eye

Shackle eye

Bob S.

scoutman View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Lame Duck Past Pres, Fab Guy & Club Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2010 at 5:13am
I would try to keep the larger bolt end of the spring on the stationary end of the frame mount.  The smaller bolt end would have the shack for give and I would think the hard mount end would see more force.
76 Scout II in pieces
96 Jeep XJ 33's
99 Jeep XJ Limited
06 Dodge 3500
W5LZQ
50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2010 at 8:20am
Originally posted by scoutman scoutman wrote:

I would try to keep the larger bolt end of the spring on the stationary end of the frame mount.  The smaller bolt end would have the shack for give and I would think the hard mount end would see more force.

That is exactly what I was thinking!!
Bob S.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic