Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

driveway project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: driveway project
    Posted: 06 January 2008 at 11:35am

I am going to regravel my driveway next weekend and am starting to look for the best deal on pea/pond gravel.  Has anyone done this recently or know of a good place to get this stuff cheap?  I am going to need about 60 bags and home depot is $3.98 a bag.

Thanks for the help,

Bo

74 CJ5
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2008 at 12:34pm
I've picked up large quantities at Hoover gravel back when I had my F-350.
It is at the quarry, the one on the right if headed North on Jordan.
You can look "Hoover" up in the phone book and probably find it to get their hours and rates.
If you turn right on what I think is Stringfield road off of Jordan, it's probably a mile or so on the Left.

They will load it into a pickup truck kinda like the Chevy Like a Rock commercials where they literally dump it into the bed of the truck with a huge front-end loader.  They charge by the Ton I think.  I don't recall the price per ton but it was absolutely the cheapest I could find.  It's crushed limestone and you can get it whatever size you want.  Just pull up in front of the pile you want.
___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Owner of CartoTracks.com Trail Maps
Past RCRC - VP
Past Nat'l CJ-8 Scrambler Owners Association President
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2008 at 1:43pm
The feed-and-seed place on Holmes Ave (Garvin's?) will deliver any amount of gravel you want, from 100 lbs to whatever.  I had them deliver me just a few tons of gravel for finishing up my yard retaining wall project because the places like Sequatchie wont deliver less than a full load (25 tons).  The gravel places like Jake is describing can tell you about how much the various gravels weigh per cubic foot, so you can figure out how much you need.  It doesnt take much at all to get HEAVY.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2008 at 4:51pm
Baker sand and gravel on hobbs island was somewhere around $40-60 for 2000 pounds of pea gravel if i remember right.

Kyle
rolltidezuk View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolltidezuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2008 at 5:28am
Baker also has "river rock" that is about $20 a ton.   JC
What can I say, I have a Samurai and Dodge tow rig.

<><
4RUNNERB12 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2008 at 10:48am
I called CT Garvin they said I need about 3 qubic yards and that would cost about $100 delivery included, that is not bad considering I would have been paying over $250 at home depot.  I will be calling Baker sand and gravel tomorrow to get their quote, now all I need to find is some railroad ties.  Thanks for everyone's help.
74 CJ5
50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2008 at 12:28pm
I have some railroad ties, how many do you need?
Bob S.

'96 Cherokee, 4.0L w/Auto Trans & locked D44s

'99 Dodge 2500 CTD Tow Rig
74chevystepside View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74chevystepside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2008 at 9:03pm
Lewter Hardware has both #1 and #2 crossties in stock
KJ4DDC
2009 Red Rock 4 door JK. All stock
1994 Blueish YJ
3" body lift and 33's WOOT
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2008 at 2:40am
I am wanting the smaller ones and I would need about 90 feet.  Bob do you have the huge ones (like 150lbs) or the smaller ones?  I am looking for the smaller ones.
74 CJ5
74chevystepside View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74chevystepside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2008 at 6:57am
They make a smaller crosstie?  Hmmm to google I go to try to find them
KJ4DDC
2009 Red Rock 4 door JK. All stock
1994 Blueish YJ
3" body lift and 33's WOOT
50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2008 at 7:02am

Mine are full size railroad ties.  I think you're wanting what they call landscape timbers.

Bob S.

'96 Cherokee, 4.0L w/Auto Trans & locked D44s

'99 Dodge 2500 CTD Tow Rig
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2008 at 7:25am

I *think* there are crossties and then there are switchties.  The switchties are the longer ones for where the tracks come together to a switch.  Those are pretty rare.  The "smaller" ones - are you thinking of landscape timbers?  The 4X4 pressure treated things that are kinda rounded on opposing faces?

Bear in mind, pressure treating aint what it used to be.  Thanks to the greenies, the new PT lumber rots only slightly less fast as plain lumber.  If you want it to last, get the railroad ties.  20 years from now they will still be there.

"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2008 at 10:31am

Went to CT Garvin today, got 3 qubic yards for $104 out the door, and you guys are right the guy told me what I was looking for were called landscape timbers.  So I will be looking for those the next time I'm at home depot.

74 CJ5
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic