Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BDR trail maps into a Garmin NuVi?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jposey66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BDR trail maps into a Garmin NuVi?
    Posted: 08 May 2018 at 1:51pm
  I am planning a trip out west, with my 17yo son in a few weeks, and navigational pre-planning is well under way. I am trying to figure out how to get the maps from the BDR (Backcountry Discovery Routes) website to work in my NuVi. I know it can be done, as i bought the TAT (Trans America Trail) file from GPSKevin and that works just fine. Stuck the SD card in the NuVi and the TaT becomes a selectable map and i am able to view it perfectly. I've downloaded mapsource and basecamp but neither seem to be very intuitive.

All I really want to do is get the maps from the BDR website to work on my NuVi. Can anyone educate me on this?

Thanks in Advance!
Posey
86 Toyota Pickup, 5.0L EFI, AOD, Total Chaos LT IFS, 33x12.50 BFG's,     BAJA Nut see my latest Baja adventure here
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 3:27pm
lots of good info here:  http://gpsinformation.org/forum/

When I've used mapsource and basecamp, I only used .gdb files.  And I've only used them for hand-held trail type garmin gps units.

Edited by 98TJ - 08 May 2018 at 3:31pm
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
jposey66 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jposey66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 6:53am
Thanks for that.  I will dig through there.  I think I am getting close.  Last night, I was able to create a map, using mapsource, and install it on the GPS.  I am able to see it in the mymaps, in the setup screen of the GPS, and i am able to select it (turn it on).  But, it will not display yet.  When I do the install like this, the format appears to come out just like the gpskevin file format.
86 Toyota Pickup, 5.0L EFI, AOD, Total Chaos LT IFS, 33x12.50 BFG's,     BAJA Nut see my latest Baja adventure here
jposey66 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jposey66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 1:46pm
Well, I gave up.  Broke down and bought an etrex 20x for offroad duty.  Could never figure out how to get tracklogs converted to routes, so i could download them onto the Nuvi.  Had hoped to accomplish all this without another purchase, as all this is currently for just one trip out west, here in a couple weeks.

Posey
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 1:50pm
Why not just use your phone?  I havent found anything that a single purpose GPS can do that my Android wont do as well, if not better.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
jposey66 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jposey66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 1:59pm
I looked into that, briefly.  Decided to throw money at it and be done, after spending so much time trying to get the Nuvi to do everything. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic