Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine and Drivetrain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erickpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine and Drivetrain
    Posted: 03 November 2017 at 12:53pm
I have the 2.5 in my TJ.

Looking to go with something a bit more friendly to drive on a daily basis and am considering an engine swap. 

I've looked at the inline 6 swap vs a 5.3 Vortec vs a Hemi and to keep this in SOME kind of budget, the inline6 swap looks like the best way to go.

Does anybody know of an available inline6 with transmission (and preferably t-case) available anywhere for a decent price? I know I'd have to do a harness and new motor mounts (and a few other things), but this looks a WHOLE lot more manageable on a budget than the V8 swap (which is what my HEART wants, but wallet says no LOL).

We have a truck to tow a trailer, so being able to drive the Jeep on the highway at normal speeds instead of puttering along with the 2.5L would be great!
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2017 at 1:33pm
You would be better off just selling you 4 cyl TJ and buying a 6 cyl TJ.  I luv the inline 6 in my 98 TJ.  That is one good motor.
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2017 at 4:16pm
Having just gotten through an engine swap of I4 to v6, I can tell you there is a lot to it.  Different exhaust, different radiator (possibly in your case) different power steering, motor mounts, trans mounts, different length driveshafts, all of the intake plumbing, wiring and on and on.  You really need a whole donor vehicle because there is always that "Oh, crap, I need that bracket!" that the junkyard wants $50 for.

I gotta agree with Brad, sell your Jeep and buy a new one...unless you just want a good chewy project over a long period.  It can be very rewarding, but it can also be very frustrating, especially if you dont have the tools and facility to do the work.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
Ace View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2017 at 4:53pm
What is this heresy! Save up and go big! The rumble of a V8 is worth the effort.

03 Rubicon,6.1 Hemi,37" BFG Krawlers, custom suspension by Griffin Specialty Industries
83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2017 at 8:40pm
I know a guy that has a 4.0 tj motor. Pm me and Ill send you his phone number. You'll need a transmission and at least the correct input shaft for the transfer case. By the time you round up everything you could do a 5.3 swap for not much more.
broncomike View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote broncomike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2017 at 9:48pm
I did a 5.2 dodge swap in my TJ. Look up Backwoods Offroad Mugnum in TJ swap.
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2017 at 11:05pm
If you do decide to do the inline 6 swap, I have the transfer case out of my 1998 TJ with the slip yoke eliminate already installed. But you would be much better off finding a lightly used 6 cyl TJ.
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
dontoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
Hail HURTS...aske me how I know!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2017 at 8:24am
I agree with Brad and Doc. Whatever you think it will cost count on 2 to 3 times your estimate and same concerning time to complete.

I've completed a VW to Ford 2.3L swap in a rail buggy, a Toy 2.4L to GM 4.3L in my 85 Toy PU (now buggy), and a Toy inline 6 gas to Isuzu inline 4 diesel in my 88 Land Cruiser.

I would say just buy the Jeep you want...I would caution you that there are a lot of engine swap projects that never get completed due to time and cost. It's a big commitment. On the other hand if you have time and $ and want a good project go for it!

Don

Edited by dontoy - 05 November 2017 at 8:58am
1985 ToyBuggy w/TBI GM4.3/TH350, Marlin doubler, 4.88's, locked front & rear, 37" TSL SXII, and other stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic