Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rock Slider refurb

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gumataotaom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rock Slider refurb
    Posted: 06 January 2017 at 8:50am
Does anyone know of a shop or person who can sand/blast/clean up and recoat (paint, powder coat, liner or other) a set of JK 4dr rock sliders?  They are about 6.5 ft long and around 14 inches wide so way to big to put in the sandblaster on the Arsenal.

Thanks,
Mike
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2017 at 9:06am
acmc415 (Mickey Christian) on this forum was doing mobile dustless blasting, dont know if he's still doing it or not, he hasnt been on here in a while.  He brought his blasting rig to one of the club meetings a year or so ago.

The auto craft shop on the Arsenal has (had?) a very large blast cabinet, probably more than 6ft in length.  It works pretty well, I have used it.  I was able to put my wife's roof rack in it with room to spare.  Its all enclosed, with those spaceman-Spiff gloves that you use to reach in and do the work.  Did you check the size?  Maybe they got rid of the big one and replaced it with a small one.

You can get them all clean, then take them to a powder-coater.  John Griffin does a lot of work through some local powder-coater, but I dont know who it is.

Be careful with sandblasting - it produces fractured silica, which is really bad stuff in your lungs.  There are other kinds of media which are much safer. 
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
gumataotaom View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gumataotaom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2017 at 9:23am

Thanks for the info.  Love the sliders I have now (home made & solid mounted to frame vs the thinner body mounted ones) and have saved me quite a bit of pain over the years but those pigs need some lipstick.   Debating on the cost effectiveness of the entire recoating process.

alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2017 at 10:47am
Its dirty work, but angle grinders are cheap and the "flap disks" actually work pretty well.  If the sliders are removable, you could do this yourself easily, but could also do it on the vehicle, just need to mask the body to avoid damage.  There may be some areas where you just can't reach.

Get an angle grinder, a facemask and some earmuffs (or plugs) and have a go at the sliders yourself.  Grind 'em clean to metal, wipe the metal off with a clean rag and some MEK (use gloves) then I recommend using Rustoleum "Self Etching Primer" which you can get at HD/Lowes or Walmart automotive area.  Then paint with Rustoleum whatever color.  Its pretty durable as long as you let the paint dry sufficiently and use several coats.  The primer dries almost instantly, so you can work on an area, clean it, prime it, and leave it for a while and come back to it.  Just grind a light bit back into the primed area.  Primer over primer doesnt matter.

HTH

Edited by alabamatoy - 06 January 2017 at 10:50am
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gumataotaom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2017 at 11:22am
Yep. I have them off and started grinding on them last night. Much easier project when the weather is warmer. I was just looking for a 'more convenient' avenue. Thanks for the advice!
83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2017 at 8:32am
Powder will hold up the best on these vs paint. Kreative Koatings 256-262-4327 jessica@kreativekoatings.com is who we use. If you email her a picture and some measurements, she should be able to quote it for you with out you having to take it to them. They can also blast them for you.
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gumataotaom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2017 at 8:35am
Thanks John!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic