Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2004-06 TJ purchase recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOT4HWY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2004-06 TJ purchase recommendations
    Posted: 24 December 2016 at 7:27pm
My son wants a TJ and I thought it would be a good idea to get some advise on what he/I need to check before deciding. Looking at 2004-2006 TJ 4.0-manual.  Thanks for the help. Steve      Merry X-mas-Happy new year!
Club member since 1992, Club President 1995-1999 Trail rig:S-Blazer,Rockwells,507 Caddy,T-400,203/205, Tow-rig: '23 F350 4x4
Doc Savage View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2016 at 9:14am
Couple of things off the top of my head. Check the axles. Some had D35 in rear some had D44. Also check gearing of the rear axle. 3.55 was standard on my 05LJ, but I opted for the free 3.73 upgrade. Not a real big deal, but I liked the lower gears even mainly street driving, made towing better. Check the top. it may have been replaced/needing replacement if it is a soft top. Besttop is best in my opinion (and OE), but there are a few other good brands, and some not so good ones. Look for leaks on the radiator. The plastic ends will eventually give way and rupture or leak at the crimp.
We had real issues with the wife's 01 TJ throwing an evap code (typically bad gas cap, but we eventually had everything but the computer and gas tank replaced and never got it fixed). I had a friend that got an 03 with a similar issue that took some work to get stopped. My 05 LJ never had the issue. I personally think it was an issue with a software update, my 98TJ never had an issue like that.

Check for "Death Wobble". It usually hits about 50-55 and can get started if you hit a bump. Some folks just slap a heavier steering stabilizer on to fix it. I've had it come and go depending on the tires I'm running. Usually a slight wear of the rod ends can cause it. I had some issues with it with the LJ, but never with the TJ.

Also make sure the transfer case shifts into gears well. One of my TJs had issues with that from the factory and needed the linkage adjusted. Body lifts can cause issues with the linkage if it isn't done right.

Hope that helps!

Robert
Past President, Rocket City Rock Crawlers
Past President, Madison County CERT Association
NOT4HWY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOT4HWY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2016 at 7:47am
Thanks Robert, My son found and bought a 04 Rubicon up in Tennessee! Now he has a list of all the goodies he wants to get-I told him to save up. Steve
Club member since 1992, Club President 1995-1999 Trail rig:S-Blazer,Rockwells,507 Caddy,T-400,203/205, Tow-rig: '23 F350 4x4
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2016 at 9:00am
Rubicon will be nice. D44s with lockers. 4:1 low in the T-case also (not something I've felt a need for though).

Robert
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2016 at 8:34am
Originally posted by NOT4HWY NOT4HWY wrote:

Thanks Robert, My son found and bought a 04 Rubicon up in Tennessee! Now he has a list of all the goodies he wants to get-I told him to save up. Steve

Nice!  Steve is it a TJ or the "Unlimited" LJ (longer wheelbase)?
___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Owner of CartoTracks.com Trail Maps
Past RCRC - VP
Past Nat'l CJ-8 Scrambler Owners Association President
NOT4HWY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOT4HWY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2016 at 8:55pm
TJ-all stock with hardtop-manual
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2016 at 8:51am
Let the upgrades begin ;)

I remember my first meeting at RCRC Steve, I had just turned in my employee lease TJ and purchased my 98 TJ that afternoon. You suggested I get behind a larger vehicle on the trails so it wouldn't get scratched LOL Gonna be the same with his?

Robert
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2016 at 8:53am
Wait a minute! he can't be driving yet can he????? I remember him being in a baby bouncer suspended between the seats of Titanic.

Man we are getting old

Robert
83K10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2016 at 6:47pm
The Rubicon's not only have a 4:1 low but they have an NP241 case instead of an NP231. These are heavier duty and commonly found in full sized trucks with a higher gear set. The Rubicon's also have larger rear U joints VS a regular TJ.
NOT4HWY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOT4HWY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2016 at 8:30pm
It has never been offroad- paint perfect. Nathan will probably baby it for a long while. I will be surprised if he even drives it to KC40. 

Oh-Nathan wants to know what year(s) half metal doors will work with 04's? Thanks
unlblkrubi View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlblkrubi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2016 at 12:48pm
'97 thru '06 half doors will work
'18 Renegade Trailhawk
'15 JKUR-Warn-AEV-Rigid-KC-ARB

NOT4HWY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOT4HWY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2017 at 9:57am
Nathan says thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic