Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for a TJ Project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danieldd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for a TJ Project
    Posted: 18 December 2016 at 8:50pm
Guys -

Its been years since I've been on this board. Initially I bought a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 that I was planning on rebuilding, but I soon sold it and moved on to more interesting projects.

Now, I am back and I'm casually looking for a TJ project. Craigslist hasn't offered up anything I am looking for, so I thought I would try here. Anyone with any input on where I can find a six cylinder TJ at a decent price, please let me know...
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2016 at 10:50pm
Look for Hardline Offroad Club on Facebook.  You'll need to make a request to get in as I think it's a closed group.  Lotta TJs rolling through there these days.
___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Owner of CartoTracks.com Trail Maps
Past RCRC - VP
Past Nat'l CJ-8 Scrambler Owners Association President
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2016 at 11:05pm
Autotrader

AL.com

Edited by 98TJ - 18 December 2016 at 11:12pm
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
danieldd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danieldd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2016 at 6:06am
Originally posted by cj8lvr cj8lvr wrote:

Look for Hardline Offroad Club on Facebook.  You'll need to make a request to get in as I think it's a closed group.  Lotta TJs rolling through there these days.

Thanks for the tip!
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2016 at 7:58am
The Hardline forum, not related to the aforementioned Facebook group, has some roll through too....

___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Owner of CartoTracks.com Trail Maps
Past RCRC - VP
Past Nat'l CJ-8 Scrambler Owners Association President
danieldd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danieldd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2016 at 4:21pm
Thanks.
 I just finished looking at Hardlinecrawlers.com. Those guys are definitely serious off-roaders!

danieldd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danieldd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 9:57am
Thought I would post up and update you all as to where I eventually went with this whole bit about buying a TJ project....

Well, after much looking around for a TJ, I completely went off in the weeds and found myself over on www.expeditionportal.com and wandered into the Mitsubishi forums whereby I was enamored by the Monteros - for some strange reason. Next, I found myself searching for a generation 2-2.5 Montero (not the Sport model) and found a 2000 Montero Endeavor in Nashville with a blown headgasket. This was back in early January of this year.

Before I knew it, it was mine and I had it towed home. The middle cylinder on the passenger side was full of coolant and at that point I just bit the bullet and pulled the engine out and tore it down to the block. It was good that I did because it had that brown milky milkshake consistency all throughout the engine and with 250K miles, it was time to refurbish the engine anyway.

Its been slow going on the build so far. The block has been overbored .020 and I've got the short block all built back up and the heads have been cleaned and reworked (I get all my stuff done at Market Street Performance in Scottsboro). John still runs the place and he is the only one I trust to do things right anymore...

Just put the timing belt on and am waiting for Amazon to deliver a tensioning tool so I can move forward with the rest of the build. I don't expect to have it running until this fall, but when I do, I'll need to inquire from you guys where some bunny trails are as I've never taken anything off road before. I figure with this Montero, its old enough and cheap enough that I won't worry about scraping/denting/scratching the vehicle in the woods.
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 11:21am
A  Montero.
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic