Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FJ40 Transfer Case will not go into 2wd

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FJ40 Transfer Case will not go into 2wd
    Posted: 27 July 2009 at 4:42pm
I am having trouble getting my transfer case to go out of 4H.  It will shift to neutral and 4H and that is it.  I have jacked up the front end and the front tires move by turning the drive shaft so I know the flanges are not broken (I have stock flanges not locking hubs, I will be putting in locking hubs soon).  I am thinking something in the transfer case is bound up or broken.  Is there a good shop in town that rebuids transfer cases cheap? 
Also, it is not in 4 wheel drive.  When it is on jack stands only the rear tires move.

Edited by 4RUNNERB12 - 27 July 2009 at 4:43pm
74 CJ5
bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2009 at 3:29am
PM BamaBleach he might have a t-case or some advice. He is the local cruiser guru now that Pat moved back to Alaska.
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE................need I say more?   
BamaBleach View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BamaBleach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 6:10pm
What year is your Cruiser?

If it is an early 40 the vacuum diaphram that engages the front drive shaft may need to be replaced as well as the vacuum shifter on the firewall.

If it's a latter model:
Most people check the shifter linkage but it seems that yours is working since you're able to shift from 4Hi to N.  I would still remove the boot from the top and look down and make sure the linkage is working as you try and move it.

From Ih8mud:
Could be a number of things keeping it in 4wd...

Bent/broken/missing linkage...
Bent shift collar in T-case...
damaged gear/fork in T/C...

Most common IMHO, where the shift lever contacts the 4wd selector shaft on the t-case, it pops out of the channel it is designed to be in, essentially it isn't moving any parts.

Get under the rig and try and push the shaft back into the t-case, have someone move the lever in & out of 4wd while you watch... (tranny in neutral please)

Or it could be your shift rod that allows you to go from 2wd to 4wd.  Sometimes it gets corroded or rusted and gets stuck.

I've got a PDF version of the service manual for the Land Cruiser transfer cases and transmissions if you'd like it. 

Also, if you do have to pull your t-case you'll need a puller to divorce it from tranny.  I've got pics of my t-case being taken apart if you think they would help you.
4RUNNERB12 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2009 at 2:20am
Mine is a 78.  I hope it would be something as simple as linkage or just pushing a rod back in the transfer case but it is in 4H right now but only the rear wheels are engaging.  Does that not mean the transfer case has something broken inside it?  Worst case senario is there anyone here in town that I could drop it off at to get it rebuilt?  I have read you need a puller and have to drop the tranny aswell.  I have a 40 width and a couple feet on both side to work with (40 tightly fits in my garage).  Thanks for the reply too.
74 CJ5
BamaBleach View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BamaBleach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2009 at 3:31am
If your linkage is jacked up you might be in the 4wd position but it may not actually be engaging.  It's worth the effort to check your linkage and shift rod to make sure that everything is as it should be.

I would:
Check the linkage to make sure it's connected correctly.  Clean up the pivot for the transfer case shifter linkage located on the side of the tranny.  They can get very corroded.  It has a grease fitting on it.

Next step would be to check the shift rod.  Look at the second diagram on this link: http://www.sor.com/sor/cat074.tam?xax=26496&page%2Ectx=cat074%2Etam

The assembly (#16) is what you need to look at.  Sometimes the rod (#17) gets stuck.  It is connected to the nose cone with 4 bolts but be careful when you remove it because there is a sping and detent ball that will be lost if you're not careful.  I've heard of some people having to beat on the shaft with a hammer because it's ceased up so bad.

If that doesn't work then you'll probably need to pull it out and have someone look at it.  If we didn't have so many irons in the fire right now with our own projects I would say my dad and I could look at it.  Not sure if Rocket City Offroad knows much about Cruisers.  I'm sure any competent  mechanic with a Factory Service Manual in hand could do a rebuild for you.
4RUNNERB12 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2009 at 8:34am
Sounds good, I will check out that #17 rod when I get a chance.  I will post up what I find.
74 CJ5
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic