Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

!!!! Fairly urgent help sought!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: !!!! Fairly urgent help sought!!!!
    Posted: 07 March 2006 at 6:31am
Hey guys.

I've just signed on to this board. Some of the Toyota guys may recognize me. Mark W from IH8Mud.com. Mark Whatley from the Toyota Trails. I own Cruisers Only in Alaska and spend a pretty good amount of time on the net talking about Land Cruisers. ;)

Looking for some help and maybe someone here can lend it.

A good friend of mine has been stationed at Redstone Arsenal. Again, some of you may know him. Patrick Belle-Oudry. He's got a built up FJ60 that I put together a while back (bronze colored, SOA conversion dual T/Cs, roof rack, wrap arond rear bumper, ladder on the rear quarter paanel.....)

Anyway, Pat has been deployed to Iraq for a few weeks now and his wife has run into some sort of problem with the rig. Seems like possibly something inside the ebrake and broken and is getting jammed/tearing itself up and making all sorts of noise when she tries to drive it.

Apparently she had some sort of problem with her normal rig and the '60 was suppoosed to be the back up rig if something like this happened whole Pat was overseas.

I'm in Alaska so there's not much I can do for her beyond answering question on the phone.

I'm really trying to avoid having a woman who doesn't really know much about vehicles (and comes across that way) take a very modified rig to a shop that doesn't know her or the rig. It's just too ripe for them to take advantage of her. :(

I'm looking to try and find someone who could swing by and look at/listen to the rig. Probably drop the rear driveshaft and pull the guts out of the ebrake (if that is in fact the problem) so that she can at least drive the rig. This rig has a Wardens Billet T/C (early style, non-split) so the ebrake is on the T/C not the rear wheels.

It should be a very minor problem. If not, then at least we will have a better idea of what exactly *IS* wrong.

If you don't know Cruisers but are willing to help Pat and Tabatha out anyway, I am sure I could talk you through any problems on the phone (I do Cuisers full time... 25 hours a day it seems like...).

If anyone can lend a hand, post up here (I'll keep an eye out) or contact me direct at cruiser@mtaonline.net.

You can even call me collect at 907.373.3789. Just tell me/the operator that it is about "Pat's rig".

THANKS,

Mark....
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2006 at 6:41am
I've seen the post and will make some phone calls locally.  There is a number of Toyota guys in the club that can help and we'll get it fixed.  Thanks for letting us know.
___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Owner of CartoTracks.com Trail Maps
Past RCRC - VP
Past Nat'l CJ-8 Scrambler Owners Association President
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2006 at 6:58am
I contacted Mark, and he is trying to get a cellphone number or something for Pat's Wife Tabitha.  RCRC will do whatever it takes.....
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
J CROSS View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J CROSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2006 at 7:11am

Doc, unless I have to work this weekend I will be available to help in any way I can, please keep me posted. I am stuck here in Tennessee until the w/e. 

John

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them"   Einstein
Mark W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2006 at 7:46am
I just got off the phone with Tabatha. She's probably calling Doc as I type to get things rolling.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help, and I'm sure that I can speak for Pat too. ;)

I'll be in contact if there are any Cruiser specific questions that come up or if there are parts I can contribute (most of any parts that might be needed will be available from parts stores and aftermarket vendors I'm sure... But I've got about 2-3 dozen parts rigs in the yard at the shop to strip for anything that can't be found, and I usually have used parets sitting aorund if new is outrageously priced. ;)

Mark...

Edited by Mark W
85cruiser View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2006 at 8:55am

THanks Mark

I just found out about this today, actually about an hour ago. the parking brake cable from her discription ios broken and hanging down on the skid plate. If someone in the club is willing to work on it the truck I can get ahold of tabitha and give her the numbers. I hate to say this but I dont really like the idea of posting my wifes number on a open forumn especially since Im 10 bazillion miles away right now, if you know what I mean. The truck wont fit in the garage, but i have all the tools needed including a torque wrench (HMMMMM good excuse to buy a new one) and a bucket of 90wt oil. The process is pretty simple to pull the thing apart and degut it if that is what it takes to get it on the road.  THANKS IN ADVANCE

Go figure I drive the truck for years and as soon as i go away it starts falling apart

Patrick

2011 Ford F350, XLT, 4X4, Diesel, Crew cab, long bed

74' FJ-40, The "Bruise"

85' FJ-60, slightly modified

87' FJ60, slightly modified
Al View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2006 at 2:59pm
Pat and Mark,

The Cruiser's at my house now.  It got here via J$ and Doc around 7 PM +/-.

I'll start on it tomorrow and post pics here.

In the meantime, if you have a web site that explains the procedure, please post.

Thanks,

Al

Mark W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2006 at 4:08pm
No Website to walk you through.

But feel free to call me collect at the shop 907.373.3789. That number forward to my cell if I don't answer at the shop, so use it regardless of the time I can walk you through it if you aren;t familiar with Cruisers.

Sounds like you guys are planning on going ahead and fixing it rather than just gutting the parking brake to get the rig moving?

You may be able to get the sheared bolts out of the speedo drive housing. If not, I've got that part and can get it and any of the parkingbrake internals that you need off to you right away.

BUT... I don't have the short parking brake cable. I'm pretty sure (99%) that we used a cable from a '79 Fj40 in that rig. We should be able to get that from Specter, or one of the other vendors without much trouble. I can also have one of our club members who works parts for Toyota up here get one paid for and headed to your local dealer for you to pick up

Pat, from what Doc told me this afternoon when they first looked at it, the parking brake sheared the heads of the four bolts that hold it on and spun.

Tab had called me a couple of days ago because the brake light was staying on. The parking brake lever was wanting to stay up just a little bit. Just enough to keep the light on. At the time she did not think that it was actually t engaging the brake. It sounds like maybe a sticky or binding cable was keeping the brake engaged. Or something had come lose alreay inside the brake drum and was forcing the shoes outward as the drum spun.

Anyway, from the sound of it the parking brake wound up firmly engaged and that engine along with the gearing of first gear in the SM465 just ripped it free.

Thanks to everyone that has helped out or was ready to... Pat, we had guys from Mud and the LCML staging to head your way to... ;)

Let me know what I can do guys, and again call me if you hit something that you're not familiar with while you're under the rig. :)

Mark...
Mark W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2006 at 4:13pm
BTW Pat... How's the Sandbox so far?

Mark...
CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2006 at 5:52pm

Thanks, Mark, for looking out for Tab! She called me this afternoon, but I work thirds and was dead to the world. When I got back to her, Doc, J$, and Al were already neck deep into the rig....Again, many thanks!

~Sean

Edited by CJ7OX
~Sean
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem. -Reagan

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

85cruiser View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2006 at 7:03pm

I think she tried to drive it around the block with the brake on at first. She kept complaining about how she couldnt get it moving It just kept dying even though she let it warm up first. I kept asking her if she  released the parking brake but this was after i told her to start out in LOW in the 465 tranny because i figured she was just having difficulty with the clutch and LOW can get the truck moving without using the gas, thats probably how this happened. I guess that proves the Toyota torque and low gearing can do some damage.  

Guys if you are working on the 60 watch out for that skid plate its a heavy mother F*&#er.

Mark,

If I remember correctly we did use a 79 parking brake cable.

The sand box isnt too bad for me at least, I was going to call you but this time zone thing is a mother. Im having a hard enough time getting sleep and talking to Tabitha at night here.  I cant complain about my living conditions I have my own room with a shared bath, commercial internet, TV with AFN satellite, refrigerator, microwave, and when i go anywhere on Camp Ramadi (which is in the Marine sector west of Baghdad) and any time I need to get around I drive a relatively new 4wd Mitsuibishi 4cyl turbo diesel, crew cab pickup not a bad little truck.  

THANKS MARK, AL, DOC and everyone that is helping us out.

I will OWE some LARGE amounts of liquid refreshment when I get back.

Patrick

74' FJ-40, The "Bruise"

alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2006 at 12:55am

Originally posted by 85cruiser 85cruiser wrote:

I hate to say this but I dont really like the idea of posting my wifes number on a open forum

Dont.  I have her Cell number, will get that to Al in case he needs to talk with her about the rig.  I think he will be able to get the rig working no problem, and then we can figure out what to do about parts.  I expect the sheared bolts to be a bit of a challenge.

Negative.  What you are doing over there is building up a large debt from us back here.

Regarding the Suburban, I drove it a good ways over to my daughter's school and picked her up, and drove back to Tabitha's, and no leak.  I dont know what to do beyond that.....nothing to fix, Jeremy and I couldnt get it to leak.  I told her that if she gets in a bind about a vehicle repair that she can always trust Danny at RCO - he will take care of the rig and wont cheat her on price.

Edited by alabamatoy
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
85cruiser View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2006 at 1:59am

Thanks Doc,

I guess all the times that I have gone WAY out of my to help other people (including strangers) is coming back to me 3 fold.  Let me  know what the damage "$" wise and I'll make sure it gets squared away. I hope the rear  tranny output housing can be saved its not stock its a CNC aluminum piece that is part of the Wardens case.

And again thanks to all that helped in this crisis, and thanks to all that would help if they could swing.

Pat 

Patrick

74' FJ-40, The "Bruise"

bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2006 at 3:31am

its not stock its a CNC aluminum piece

I Just happen to know someone who works in a machine shop. let me
know if anything needs built or fixed. I still owe Pat for helping me
change a birfield.
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE................need I say more?   
Al View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2006 at 3:40am
Originally posted by alabamatoy alabamatoy wrote:

I hate to say this but I dont really like the idea of posting my wifes number on a open forum

Dont.  I have her Cell number, will get that to Al in case he needs to talk with her about the rig.  I think he will be able to get the rig working no problem, and then we can figure out what to do about parts.  I expect the sheared bolts to be a bit of a challenge.

Negative.  What you are doing over there is building up a large debt from us back here.

Regarding the Suburban, I drove it a good ways over to my daughter's school and picked her up, and drove back to Tabitha's, and no leak.  I dont know what to do beyond that.....nothing to fix, Jeremy and I couldnt get it to leak.  I told her that if she gets in a bind about a vehicle repair that she can always trust Danny at RCO - he will take care of the rig and wont cheat her on price.

Pat, I have Tabitha's cell phone.  We'll take care of getting it up and running.

Thanks,

Al

cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2006 at 3:47am

Al, You want to dig into it today / this evening.  I'm available.

___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Owner of CartoTracks.com Trail Maps
Past RCRC - VP
Past Nat'l CJ-8 Scrambler Owners Association President
Al View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2006 at 5:54am
Originally posted by cj8lvr cj8lvr wrote:

Al, You want to dig into it today / this evening.  I'm available.

I'll be starting around 4 PM.  May have to take a break and take Albin to Baseball practice if Sherell can't.

Thanks,

Al

85cruiser View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2006 at 6:01am

Hi this is Tabitha,

Just so you guy's no,

The parking brake was not On at all, I was putting it in 3 rd gear when I thought I was in 1 st,

AND YES PATRICK I DO NO HOW TO USE THE PARKING BRAKE.

THANK YOU GUY'S SO MUCH FOR THE HELP.

Tabitha

Edited by 85cruiser
Patrick

74' FJ-40, The "Bruise"

Mark W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2006 at 7:12am
The T/C on this rig is a billet piece. But is the speedo drive too, or is that the stock steel piece? The parking brake bolts to the speedo drive housing. So if that piece is the factory original bolted on to the fancy new case, you can swap out the speedo drive housing quick and easy. I've got a housing I can send if you need.

mark...
85cruiser View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2006 at 9:21am

Its been awhile since I actually looked at that part of the transfer but I do remember "I think" that front and rear housing pieces were billet and the stock parking brake backing plate and drum plus assembly are stock pieces.

Patrick

74' FJ-40, The "Bruise"

Al View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2006 at 11:17am
Don't have pics of the speedo drive unit, but here's pics of the parking brake and broken bolts:

Here's what I found when I took the parking brake drum off:

Here's a pic of the three broken bolts and 1 stripped bolt:

I didn't take a pic of the speedo drive unit, but there are three broken bolt ends in three holes and a fouth hole with what appears to be perfect threads.

Mark is sending me a replacement speedo unit rather than try to repair the current one.  Pat can repair that when he returns and he'll have a spare unit.  Mark will tell us where we can get another parking brake cable so we can fix that also.

The vehicle can be put back into operation in about 30 minutes +/-, sans the parking brake.  However, Tabitha doesn't need it right now, so I'm going to try to finish it before I get it back to her.

Stay tuned.

Al

85cruiser View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2006 at 6:32pm

I think that would have been a bad thing to have happen at 60+ mph on the highway.   I have never taken the parking brake assembly apart since Ive had the truck, never had a reason to do it. I talked to Tabitha and she had left out some information that would have been useful, she failed to mention that the first time she drove it after i left the truck made some wierd noices. Which might have been the loose bolts rolling around in the brake area. Im glad it wasnt Tabitha's fault the damage now falls back on my shoulders. 

Thanks Al, especially since your working on my Junk and you have your own Toy that keeps you busy.

Patrick

74' FJ-40, The "Bruise"

Mark W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2006 at 9:03pm
Al, I haven't had a chance to check my email yet (I'm on a computer that I don't normally use and I don't want to downlod my mail to this machine. I'll check it when I finsh here to see if there is anything I need to mail you about.

The Speedo housing went in the mail today with a seal in it that looks good and a brand new seal in the box with it. Bolts and lock washers too. US mail, promised to be there by 3:30 Friday or they refund the postage.  ;)

Specter only has new cables in stock so I've got John seeing what he can do with his employyes discount at Toyota and we'll also see if we can get it shipped to the huntsville dealer. I'll know in the morning. If he can't fix us up, we'll have to bite the bullet and go with Specter.

Pat, when tabatha called me to ask about the brake light staying on she didn't think that the brake was actually dragging at that time. I told her that is was probably a sticky cable wanting to keep the lever up just far enough to keep the light swtich in contact. That is not uncommon. I told her that it shouldn't be a problem to drive it. Right now i am betting that what very likely could have been happening is that the bolt that is not sheared might have come loose and was trying to jam in the brake assembly. When it finally did the others sheared off.  :(

Mark...
85cruiser View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2006 at 10:02pm

I didnt think to much about the light staying on. I have had the light come on because of the boot around the parking brake handle would keep the handle from fully seating just enough for the light to stay on. The light switch is set really tight I dont think that I have to pull the handle up a full click before the light comes on.

Thanks Mark for taking charge in my absence and getting the Emergency Land Cruiser operations center in action so quickly. Let me Know what the damage "$" is, Ill take care of it.

Patrick

74' FJ-40, The "Bruise"

Al View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2006 at 12:15am

Let me Know what the damage "$" is, Ill take care of it.

Wanna bet?

Deep South View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deep South Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2006 at 1:35am

Great to see everyone pitch in.

Best wishes and get home safe Patrick.

Jerry Hocutt (Deep South)

1978 FJ40 - 283 V8
Mark W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2006 at 4:48pm

My (and Pat's) buddy at the local dealer looked into the parking brake cable for me yesterday. Here is the result.

The part # is 46410-60024

Their best price to me is $77.65.

Dealer list (our local goat raping Toyota dealer with  padding on EVERYTHING!!!) is $114 and change.  :(

Dealer list price in the 48 is $88 and change.

Many Toyota dealers will give a TLCA discount of as much as 25% just for the asking. (I'll bet filling the parts guy in about how we are fixing a rig for the wife of a guy who is serving overseas will get a discount even if they don't offer a TLCA oprice...)  ;)

So even with my 33% discount, it'll be more expensive to procure it here and ship it. Maybe a LOT more.

It is also available from Specter (in stock) for $80 and change.

Mark...

Al View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2006 at 4:36am
Mark,  I found SOR but no listing for an e-brake cable, just doors and engines.  P/N listed above came back zip.

Tell me the SOR part number and I'll Visa it today.

Thanks,

Al

85cruiser View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2006 at 5:51am

AL,

It may be cheaper to go through the dealer for the part and pay Taxes on the cable then go through Specter. Specter may have the part for few dollars cheaper but they are NOTORIUS for there shipping and handling charges.  Thanks AL and again You need to et me know how much I owe, I dont like owing my friends money it just bothers me to no end.

Pat

Patrick

74' FJ-40, The "Bruise"

Mark W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2006 at 8:29pm
Al,

Did the speedo housing make it in on Friday?

Mark...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic