Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coal Mine Mt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote z70what Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coal Mine Mt
    Posted: 12 March 2011 at 7:15am
Alright,

I know i've been gone for a couple (4) years living in SC, so what's the deal?  My girlfriend and i drove up to Coal Mine mountain yesterday in my 06 Rubicon LJ just to enjoy the weather and have some fun.   However, after making the 40 minute drive out there, i get to the top to see a big yellow GATE and sign reading NO TRESSPASSING!!  What the heck happened? How can someone buy and entire mountain and trails?  Just curious when this happened, and i probably should've posted a question before driving all the way out there, but i really had no idea.  Thanks in advance.

Luke
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2011 at 7:54am
It's been gated for some time now.
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
mrs. jpwrangler View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
RCRC Membership Director

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrs. jpwrangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2011 at 4:43am
Many of the areas are gated now.  They are not buying the entire mountain, but certain tracks of land, and don't necessarily have to offer access across their land.  Our club is pretty familiar with all areas, so just post areas you are interested in riding and we can give you any info you need.  

You are more than welcome to come to one of our monthly meetings to learn where we will be riding that month and join us.  You can also check out this link from our home page that lists areas to go wheelin'.  http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.com/where_to_go_wheelin.htm
Lee Anna Wright, RCRC Secretary/Membership Director
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2011 at 5:06am
There's one owner in that area that stirred everyone up and got the gate put up.  Many of the owners (I work with one landowner close behind that gate) do not want the gate there, but dont want to fight the guy who is so insistent about the gate.

All of the land on Bice Mountain (the correct name for what many people call "coalmine"), with the exception of some small tracts, is privately owned.  The gate is placed off the end of the public road, on private property.  The state lands up there are leased, and the lease holders can get a key.  Unfortunately, this is how its going:  The drunken rednecks go up there, trash the place, tear up the roads, cook meth in people's cabins and often burn them down as a result, use the place to stash stolen or insurance frauded cars.....so the gates go up.

It *is* and always has been private property.  Unless you are a landowner, you technically are trespassing by going up there.  So the gate is completely legal etc.  What our parents enjoyed, our kids will not be able to enjoy.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
z70what View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote z70what Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2011 at 5:11am
I will definitely be at the next meeting... I'm assuming it's on the 7th of april at Newks.  It's a shame that all of the public land that used to be free and fun to ride on is now dwindling by the day!  It's not just in Alabama either. I grew up in Arizona, lived in TN for the majority of my life, and SC the past few years, and it seems to be the same everywhere!  Looking forward to meeting and going trail riding with you guys!

Luke
mrs. jpwrangler View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
RCRC Membership Director

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrs. jpwrangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2011 at 1:48am
Originally posted by z70what z70what wrote:

I will definitely be at the next meeting... I'm assuming it's on the 7th of april at Newks.  

Yes, April 7th at Newk's.  Dinner at 6pm (optional), meeting at 7pm.  Look forward to having you join us.

Edited by mrs. jpwrangler - 14 March 2011 at 1:48am
Lee Anna Wright, RCRC Secretary/Membership Director
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic