Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

90 4runner v6 problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 90 4runner v6 problems
    Posted: 27 June 2005 at 5:47pm

I think i might have a blown head gasket, see what you guys think.

it runs ruff at idle but when you drive it, it seems to do fine and it if getting hot.  on the right side of the intake manifold there are some rubber lines, well one of them gets really swollen with pressure and it shoots coolant out the lines, some mechanic told me that it has a blockage in the cooling system somewhere because it drove ok for the first few weeks that i had it (ive had it for 1 month).  I have read that in these trucks cylinder number 6 goes bad and i think that is where the rough idle is comming from, what about the pressure prob?  exhaust gasses getting in the coolant?  by the way the motor has had both head gasket recall repairs, the last repair was said to have been done like 2000 miles ago by bill penney(bill penney tech said that not the seller) 275,000 miles on truck currently.

what do you guys think?

bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2005 at 12:41am

Sounds like you might just have a weak hose. Your radiator cap should vent off excess pressure before it swells up a rubber hose. It's not uncommon for old rubber hoses to get weak and swell up. Fix this first and see what it does.

I probably wouldn't spend much $$ on a 3.0 with 275,000 miles. I'm surprised that its made it that long. 3.0's are noted for being the all time turd of toyota engines. Sounds to me like it's time for a 4.3 swap

TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE................need I say more?   
4RUNNERB12 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2005 at 7:01am
it is one of the smaller hoses that goes around the back of the motor, i didn't think about it being too old,  i had the radiator cap pressure checked it came back fine, it is a completely stock truck, i didn't really want to spend all the money to make this one a trail rig wanted it for a daily driver, do you think i should rebuild the one i have or get a junk yard one with low miles, also anyone know of someone who would do this work and how much?
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2005 at 7:06am
and what do you think about the overheating problem?  i really dont want to take it to diehl toyota because either way i would leave with new heads gaskets and a 1500 dollar bill or worse a new motor.
bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2005 at 12:17am

Try replacing the hose thats leaking and maybe a new thermostat and see what that does.

I would stay away from junkyard toyota engines. I know of too many people who have gotten burned. Myself, I would rebuild the one I had.

Check out www.22re.com I think they have rebuild kits for 3.0's . I have built 4 22R's with their kits and they are excellent quality. Almost everything in their kit is OEM toyota. I don't think you'll beat their price either.

Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2005 at 5:53am

do you know anyone who rebuilds these engines cheap?

bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2005 at 5:59am
I could rebuild it for you , but it would be a while before I could get to it. Right now I'm just way too busy. If you need it sooner I know some other shops that could do it.
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2005 at 6:15pm
how much would you want to rebuild it or just do the head gaskets, or what do you think about your buddies if you dont have the time?
bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2005 at 3:19am
Give me a call and we'll discuss it. 587-9208
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic